Launching Romance into the stars.

Friday, March 2, 2012

We Owe Ellen Ripley

Growing up the only science fiction women I saw were the stereotypical damsels in distress. Princess Leia started to break the mold by being smarter than the guys saving her but she still ended up in a metal bikini chained to a slug.

Go women?!? Not yet.


Then Alien came out. Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley was smoking hot, smart, and deadly. She gave us a woman you *know* would never wear F-me pumps to run in when chased by the monster of the week. I was a teenager when this came out and I was so scared I think I was under the seat in the theatre. But I was also proud. I now had someone on screen with a smart mouth, a hot bod, and brains. I had my heroine and I'll never forget the pride I felt.



Thank you to Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett for writing her. We owe you.

Graylin Fox

4 comments:

Jessica E. Subject said...

Great post, Graylin! And now there are so many more kickass females out there, but we still see those running in their pumps. Geez.

Rie Langdon said...

lol YES -- Ellen Ripley is still the best female character around.

"They can bill me."

Alanna Coca said...

Ellen was an awesome heroine. And she looks pretty good in her panties.

D L Jackson said...

Ripley was an awesome heroine. I loved he kick-ass take no prisoners, role.