Launching Romance into the stars.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

What DO aliens look like? Part 1 - Hollywood

While writing my alien romances, I always ask myself, what DO aliens look like? Many have tried to explain what they might resemble, but all our guesses, both fictional and those based on science make the assumption aliens are carbon based lifeforms. What happens if they're not? The possibilities are endless.

Today I'm going to give a glimpse at how Hollywood has portrayed aliens over the years. Next week, I'm going to take a more scientific approach.

Now, in Hollywood, aliens have been those hiding on Earth, trying to blend in or not be found, and also those arriving to take over.

Here are just a sample of the variety of aliens in movies:

Earth Girls Are Easy




Close Encounters of the Third Kind




And here's a top 10 list of Alien races in film from WatchMojo.com:




See any you like? So, based on Hollywood's portrayal of extraterrestrials, what do YOU think an alien might look like? Are there any movies that resemble your idea better?



Bio:

Jessica Subject is the author of contemporary and science fiction romance, ranging from sweet to erotica. In her stories, you could meet clones, or a sexy alien or two. You may even be transported to another planet for a romantic rendezvous.

When Jessica isn't reading, writing, or doing dreaded housework, she likes to get out and walk. Fast. But she just may slow down if there is a waterfall nearby.

Jessica lives in Ontario, Canada with her husband and two energetic children. And she loves to hear from her readers. You can find her at jessicasubject.com and on twitter @jsubject.

5 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Jessica, your posts are always awesome. Love this one. My fav aliens are the Navi from Avatar. I think it's because of they way they can interact with their world--which means they protect it. Of course, the Ewoks are cute. And so is E.T. How can I choose just one? LOL

Alicia Dean said...

This post IS awesome, and I'm not even a sci-fi fan. (Although authors like you and Diane Burton make it interesting). Out of all the top ten, I've only seen two of the movies, Predator because Arnold was in it, and E.T. because I had small children at the time, LOL. The Predator aliens are my fave, because they're wicked. Great job!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Diane - Thank you so much! Posts ideas like this smack me upside the head, much like a story. LOL Glad you enjoyed the post! Those are two of my favorite Hollywood alien species, too. :)

Alicia - Thank you very much! I try to make sci-fi fun, interesting, and even sexy. I remember watching Predator II after coming home from work, and laughing most of the movie. I must have been very tired. LOL

Liza O'Connor said...

I never realized the math guy from Jurassic Park was an alien. Now everything makes so much more sense.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Yes, Liza, and in ID4, he helps to save us from an alien invasion. ;-)